Thursday, September 3, 2009

8.31.09-9.01.09

I’m having trouble sleeping again. I keep going back and forth between being so amazed at the things I’m seeing here, and also being incredibly stressed and overwhelmed. Part of me wishes I were back in America, where life was already good and easy. It’s hard to imagine that I’ll be here for 10 months. I know that after a slight adjustment period, things will be better. I just wish I had some way to contact people back home. I feel very stranded sometimes. It’s weird being the foreigner. Sort of like looking in from the outside. I can see, hear, smell, feel and to a degree, even understand what is going on around me, but I’m not a part of it. I think the language barrier is playing a huge role in this.
On the upside, I can tell that even after only 3 days, my French comprehension is improving. There’s still a lot of “oui, oui, d’accord,” when I understand absolutely nothing of what was said, but I’m also learning to make mistakes. Conversation can of course be slow sometimes, but I’m making connections much faster than I was before. We took exams at the CIEF today to determine our French placement. Not too difficult, but I definitely didn’t do amazingly. No problem, I’d rather be in a level of class where I review a few things as opposed to a class too advanced for me.
Also, I found Jeremy at the CIEF, right after my housemate, Genichi (not really his name, but I call him that because I can’t remember his name and it doesn’t seem to bother him) and I received our cartes d’etudiantes. It was honestly such a relief to see a face I knew. There are a lot of kids here for just a semester from Colby. Sort of standoffish freshmen actually. Just some random information for you!
After the test, Jeremy and I wandered the campus for a bit, and we ended meeting this German boy, Matthias. He was very excited that we were American, as he apparently studied a year or semester at UW Madison. He said it was the time of his life, and that he loves Americans and America…certainly a new sentiment out here! He showed us where the student cafeteria was (called a RESTO-U) and spoke to us in a PERFECT Midwestern-American accent. He also told Jeremy and I that he could take us via his car to Frankfurt, where he lives, in October and let us stay with him during Oktoberfest. I might take him up on that.
Afterward, Genichi, Jeremy, and I ate lunch, and then walked back to centre-ville where I was able to show Jeremy my house. Vero was so sweet, I really think we will be fine living togetherj. We also found a cinema that shows American movies in English! Fuck yes. And it only costs 3.50 euros! Something cheap finally.
Eventually, I took a nap and went out later to meet Jeremy ad his host mother, Agnes, at the H and M in Dijon. I got an international calling card, went to a park with Jeremy, and eventually made my way back to Rue Montee de Guise, where I live. Dinner was great, as Vero is a wonderful cook. And now, I find myself awake at 2 am, reflecting on the day, which was actually pretty uneventful lol. I’ve got to be at the Uni by 8:30 am tomorrow…ugh. Not fun. C’est la vie. Alright, updates and hopefully pictures soon!

Ils me manquent!

No comments:

Post a Comment